Monday, August 13, 2007

A farce called Marriage

In my younger days, I thought of marriage as an unnecessary ritual.
A farce. Just to keep two individuals bound in a claustrophobic relationship.
Men and women, married to each other, stay married despite their unhappiness, differences, intimate affairs with others because of several reasons. This is a pretense, a farce, they why marry? Live-in-relationships are fine, so I thought.
If a person in love wants to live the rest of his/her life with the beloved, it can be achieved. By living together under one roof in harmony. why rituals? Does one need the certification of marriage and witnesses to their bond? Approval to love and live together, from the society?
Does the bond of marriage guarantee fidelity? Undying love? the promise to stay on till death did them apart? Even without marriage, the vows can remain intact. There can be commitment towards each other even while living together.
For me, this invisible bond of a wedding was man-made. And meant for those, not strong of mind and determination. Religion sanctions this bond between two persons, some rituals are performed, witnesses who second this whole thing and it earns the legal title.
BUT now I have realized that we are weaklings. We need this institute of marriage, this witnesses to the wedlock, this approval of religion and society.
Though people have the choice to walk out in a marriage, they usually don't. They are scared of the society who has nothing to but talk. The partners think twice before heading different ways. And this 'thinking twice' gives them another chance to work on their relationship.
Not so in a live-in-relationship. One can just walk out without thinking, without explanation, without the accountability that is there in a marriage. It is easier to trample over one's partner, desert the lover in a live-in-relationship. Like the relationship never existed.
But in a marriage? There are questions, accusations, explanations, justifications, excuses and of course the tears and the paper works. The commitment and responsibility are high in a marriage.
Marriage has the respect, the approval of the society. This endorsement is necessary for the feeble human mind to stay in a relationship.
A lover can turn away from the beloved, walk away without hassles. But a wife/husband cant do the same. She/He needs again a signal from the society to undo the marriage. This walking away is labelled 'divorce', whereas the term in a live-in-relationship would be 'estranged' or maybe something else.
Marriage may be a farce, but we need this farce. To be socially acceptable. And for religious purposes.
The mind is conditioned such, that it needs something/ someone to obey to. Independently, it often falters and cannot walk steadily.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

No one has the right to tell anyone else how to live or decide what is right and wrong for them. I am told to give on my views, which I am unbiased narrating hereby, I cannot be deciding right and wrong for others.

Foremost, "Marriage is an instinctive and beautiful institution between a man and a woman. It's wrong for some souls to destroy marriage, which is the very foundation of society."

I am not against those who favor the “Live in Relationships”. But I personally believe living with someone outside of marriage is not right.

It is NEVER RIGHT to live together without marriage. More problems are caused in such an arrangement, and makes living with ones self a major emotional problem, which creates havoc in the relationship.

Plus, marriage is a permanent record that can’t be erased and unfortunately there are too many people who don’t understand the seriousness of the matter.

Sharifa said...

Nikhat, before I got married, I WANTED to get married (for various reasons - perhaps I had rosy notions, maybe my biological instincts, maybe I felt I would have more freedom and so on) and after that I felt ke shaadi nahi kiya to bhi problem hai aur kiya to bhi problems hai.

From that I concluded ke there is no escape from problems -its how one deals with it and the attitude that one cultivates but it took me years to come to that conclusion.

Live-in relationships, hmmm, personally I would'nt have gone in for it.

Yet I would not be judgemental about people who do go in for it and accept their situation as okay with me

I believe in the sanctity of marriage as an institution. Just because 99.5 percent of human beings are so self-absorbed and cannot value the partner, cannot be tender and loving and enabling to the other it doesnt mean that there is no such thing as happy marriages.

Its just like religion - just because the practitioners are not following the true principles of their religion, it does not mean that the flaw lies in the religion. No, the flaw lies in the practtioners of that religion.

Human Beings ARE social creatures, they cannot do without other people and wanting to be approved, wanting to belong, all these are natural things, maybe the degree would differ from person to person, but the institution of marriage serves that need

Mylarobin said...

Wow you are such a good writer, and this is really interesting. Write more please :)

Unknown said...

interesting text
but anywere we get a law and religion to obey

Featured Post

I close My Eyes

The Beggar woman under the tree On the way to my office I daily see Reminds me of the poem by Sri Sri Titled aptly ‘Bhikshu Varshiya...